06 March 2012

13.1

So, this past weekend I woke up on Saturday, drove to New Orleans, ran a little half-marathon on Sunday and then turned around and came home.

At least that's what it felt like.

This race was very, very different than any of my other races...for several reasons.

Reason #1 - my signature photo of late.

This. Is. Me.

I feel like nursing school + moving + new job + being 31 + my last race being in 2008 has kind of made my athleticness disappear.

She IS on her way back though. Never fear.

Reason #2 - my longest training run was 8 miles. A month ago. And then I didn't really run again after that. Until Sunday.

And I didn't really care.

What's another five miles?

(A lot, I discovered, when at mile 9 I wanted to punch a guy in the face for screaming - from the sidewalk - "Keep running!! You can walk to your car after the race! Keep running!!" Seriously. Almost punched him.)

Reason #3 - I wasn't nervous. At all.

That's what was so weird about this whole thing - usually I'm working myself up into a nice little ball of anxiety and nerves as I stand at the start line. Sunday morning, lined up with all the other runners, I started to get worried because I didn't feel butterflies in my tummy. I just wanted to start running, keep running, and get my pretty little medal. I didn't even have a thought in my head about how fast or slow I wanted to run. I just wanted to get out there and do it.

I've turned into such a bling snob. If the medal's not pretty, I'm not signing up for the race.

 
I had such a great time seeing my roomie from SBU days - my dear friend Sarah. It was so great to see a familiar face from back home. I wanted to cry.


Race number confirmation and obligatory photo by the rockstar. Cause that's what we are. 


I have to wear purple when I run. Have to.


Start line. Lots of people. Some serious, some dressed as superheros. More tutus than I've ever seen in my entire life.

 


The out-and-back on St. Charles was flat, fast and full of gorgeous houses. I love the Garden District. 

And yes. I took pictures while I ran. And tweeted about it while I ran.


And stopped for pictures while I ran. 


 Cemetery photo.

You know. For dad.


Not sure what these little balloon dog statues are for, but I want them. All of them.

All in all, it was a good weekend, good friends, good run. I know I was slower than I usually am, but you know what? This was the most relaxed race I've ever done, and it was a refreshing change.

Next time I'll probably train a little more and take it a little more serious, but come on. It's New Orleans. If you took anything serious there they'd kick you out of the city.

No comments: