08 January 2013

I'm on a Boat

Growing up near the Lake of the Ozarks has left me with a love of being out on the water.

On. Not in.

Never, ever, in.

Too many fish and other scary things that will nibble your toes and eat your legs and kill you.

Trust me on this. I just know it's going to happen to me any day now.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember, we've always had a place at the Lake. One of my very favorite things to do when I was there was to wake up early, head out on the deck with my Bible and a cup of coffee and watch boats come out and the sun rise over water.


Later in the day my mom, sister and I would gather round the dock and watch dad get the boat out and take bets on how long it would take for him to have a nervous breakdown.

But once we got out on the water, well, let's just say nothing beats falling asleep in the front of the boat with the sun and wind in your hair.

I've missed the Lake. I've missed the boat. I've missed being out on the water.

So when our super-awesome friends called us on Wednesday to ask if we'd like to go out with them on their boat, I got a little giddy.

More than a lot. I think I was bouncing around the house.

Either that or I had six cups of coffee too many.

Let me explain Vero a little bit. Our town is situated on the Indian River - an inlet of ocean water between us and the barrier islands - and on the other side of the barrier islands is the ocean.


We went out on the Indian River - smooth, calm water with lots of sailboats, kayaks...







And dolphins. Lots and lots of dolphins, just swimming right by the boat.



Sorry, Lake of the Ozarks. I love you, but I love dolphins more.

We rode out to Round Island - my favorite part of the ride. It's a lagoon-ish area full of kayakers and manatee...the manatee were swimming right under us. It was pretty cool.

Thanks to Sara and Gray for such a great afternoon.

And our Captain was awesome!




Today I Love: Our sweet friends who invited us to spend the afternoon with them and the fact I got a suntan on January 2nd.

No comments: