02 January 2013

Revised Resolutions

It's inevitable.

Every time a new year rolls around, I make promises to myself. It always, always has the same theme song of "lose weight, more willpower to lose weight, run more marathons, lose weight..." yadda yadda yadda.

I'm done. I'm tired. I'm through.

I'm tired of feeling like I let myself down. Tired of worrying what other people think of me. Tired of starting over one more time. Tomorrow. Monday. Whenever. After this last piece of chocolate.

Mmmm. Chocolate.

Anyway. Moving on.

This year, I want to do something different. I was all prepared to write a post about a numerated list of goals and objectives when a friend of mine on Twitter re-tweeted the following thought from @LisaWhelchel:

"Before God writes your new year, He imagines you twirling with joy while He watches adoringly. Step into His vision for your 2013." #letsdance

Isn't that beautiful?

So what's His vision for me in 2013?

I have no idea. But I'm open to the possibilities.

I will admit I do have my weight-loss chart printed out and hanging by the scale, my 30-day Paleo kick-start menu plan on the fridge (the Practical Paleo book is amazing, by the way), my promise to M's aunt that I will run the 2013 St. Jude's Half Marathon with her this next December.

It's good to have plans. To prepare. To set goals and reach for them.

But I'm not going to let them become my focus. With my personality, those things can easily become an obsession. I struggle with obsessions, and the result isn't healthy. It's addicting. It's all-consuming. It tears me away from what's really important.

I want to be consumed by my Savior.

Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe I'm just getting old.

But maybe, just maybe, I'm finally discovering myself in the place where I was meant to be.

Let's twirl with joy this year.

No comments: