27 June 2013

30 Day Paleo Challenge - Day 5

Weight Loss: - 4

I ate eggs for breakfast.

I know. I KNOW!!! I hate eggs. But I had three hard-boileds left over, and I woke up starving. So I turned them into a nice little egg salad (mush eggs with fork, add paleo mayo, mustard, a little S&P, some paprika) and ate it with my bacon.

I also ended up using yesterday as a true rest day, and woke up feeling awesome this morning. After not eating a lot on Day 3 and not really wanting much until just around dinner yesterday – pretty much just ate my watermelon chunks for lunch - I didn’t want to push it with a workout. I’m a passer-outer, and I just didn’t want to embarrass myself like I did during my very first CrossFit Fundamentals class.

Yes. Almost passed out during my first session back in March. Ugh. I'm so weak. 

However, halfway through the day yesterday, I got a weird burst of energy. No coffee, no sugar, no anything. I just felt clear and happy and energized. I got an amazing amount of work done with my patients, and I also had a student nurse shadowing me. Sometimes explaining every little detail of your job over and over can be exhausting, but I felt like I was bouncing off the walls showing this poor girl every aspect of what I do.

Hopefully I didn’t scare her away…I think she’s going to make a terrific nurse, and she was surprised to find out that Hospice isn’t, in her words, “doom and gloom.” Note: It's ok to make your cancer patients smile and laugh!! 

I was hungry for dinner last night, so I’m hoping this shaky-not-eating-headache phase was a 24hr thing. The Splenda has officially left the building. 

So what happens when you’re hungry for dinner? Your husband grills a WICKED chicken, you make your homemade paleo BBQ sauce, everything is awesome and delicious…and your dog sneaks half the chicken off the plate when you’re not looking.

Of course.

It’s my fault for having a dog large enough to reach the ceiling fan.


In any case, I’m glad my energy is back. Rest days are awesome.

Plan for today:

Breakfast
  • Black coffee
  • Bacon
  • Paleo Egg Salad (my fav mayo recipe is here)
Lunch
  • Plain grilled hamburger
  • Watermelon
  • Cucumber slices
Dinner
  • Not sure yet. We have some pork and a flank steak in the freezer, but the grill ran out of propane last night. I could go for a good flank steak and the rest of the steamed veggies from last night.
Snack
  • Apple with almond butter. 
Eeeek!! I'm almost out of almond butter. We might be heading towards a meltdown...

Also - that BBQ sauce I made last night? (Recipe here, in case you missed it) It was awesome. It wasn't your traditional smoky, molasses BBQ flavor, but it was really good. If you decide to make it, just letting you know it is thick and makes a lot. A LOT. I also only used half of the cayenne, because once again, I'm a lightweight. Even with half of the recommended cayenne, it still had a major bite. If I ever make it again, I'll probably leave it out. I also used my immersion blender in the pot because I'm lazy that way. Less things to clean. 

WOD:

For time -

18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 reps of

Dumbbell snatch 55/35, alternating
Abmat sit-ups
Push-ups

Paleo Website of the Day: http://balancedbites.com/ - I have one of her cookbooks, and she does a 21 Day Sugar Detox. Maybe that will be next!

CrossFit Website of the Day: http://www.crossfitobsessed.com/2012/10/21-steps-to-crossfit-obsession.html - hilarious, true for any CF newbie! Note: some language.

Today I love: Green apples and finding ways to eat eggs without them actually resembling eggs.  

PS: I know a lot of you are on my email feed to get my blog updates. If you're tired of me flooding your inbox, let me know and I'll take you off the list, or just click "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the emails. OR...if you want to be on the email list, let me know that too! Just send me your email address and I'll add it right in. Thanks! ~ A

No comments: