08 July 2013

30 Day Paleo Challenge - Day 16


On the downhill side!

I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel. I’m sleeping better, I have more energy through the day.

Except for this morning, status-post the 12-hour Never-Ending Car Ride of Ridiculousness and Tollbooths and Honking Drivers (including my dearest) yesterday.

My coffee needed coffee.

You know my meltdown a couple days ago of the craving Taco Bell/Papa John’s/Diet Coke variety? I’m really not wanting that right now. Crossfit workouts tend to kill any appetite for things that sit heavy in your stomach.

I am craving salt, however. Not salty foods, just salt. 

That could mean several things: I’m drinking too much water (highly unlikely…I’m a chronic under-drinker), I’m not replenishing my electrolytes after working out (you wouldn’t believe the amount of salt we sweat out), or a combination of the two.

Before you start freaking out about how salt is bad and can cause high blood pressure and heart attacks and strokes and your nails to look bad if you’ve just gotten them done and then stick your arm inside of a Lay’s Cheddar and Sour Cream bag (not that I would know or anything), just know that salt, in moderation, is what the body needs to survive. 

Cue my RN voice: Our cells float around in interstitial fluid, which is made up of a rather salty solution. Salt is also used in our bodies to transmit information in our nerves and muscles, increases the memory and functioning of the brain, and helps with the uptake of certain nutrients and minerals from our small intestines.

In excess, however, salt can definitely contribute to weight gain and high blood pressure and heart attacks and strokes. Know your body and adjust your intake accordingly.

Half a teaspoon a day is what our bodies require, and if you’re eating a processed, pre-packaged, eat-out-every-night and drive-through-every-day diet, you’re getting more than enough. Like as in 7 million gazillion tablespoons enough.

Now that I’m working out like a maniac, I’m sweating every day because southern Florida is a raging inferno of humidity, plus I’m eating paleo (fresh fruits and veggies tend not to have added salt, you know), I’m finding I need to gradually add a little salt into my life. My body is almost in shock. 

My blood pressure is actually getting too LOW. Yowza.

You know what is also the downside of being a road RN plus trying to eat paleo?

White scrub tops and fresh cherries don’t really go together.


Today:

Breakfast - Black coffee, banana muffins (one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth), bacon

Lunch - Chicken Salad (Shredded chicken, paleo mayo, salt, pepper, green onion and a couple splashes of white vinegar to make it tangy), baby tomatoes (I know. It’s a serious addiction), celery sticks, fresh cherries

Dinner - Leftover roast. I needed something quick and easy. That's what she said. 

Sorry. We watched wayyyy too much Office on our trip. Why is it that you have to clean your house when you get home from being gone for four days? We weren’t even here!!! FOR THE LOVE!!! 

WOD:

Power Snatch – 15 minutes to find your 1 rep max (I got 60# for my max! Not bad since I could only do 45# a month ago.)
then
Every minute on the minute for 5 minutes, 1 Power Snatch @ 90% of max

For time –

Buy in: 30 calories on Airdyne

Then 3 rounds for time of –

2 rope climb
10 burpee box jumps 24″ (facing box)
100 m sprint

Paleo Website of the Day: Elana's Pantry. Easy recipes. Delicious. 

CrossFit Website of the Day: Reebok Crossfit. Official outfitters of CF. Mom, I need some purple Nanos!! All the cool kids have some!!

Today I love: If you follow me on Twitter or are friends with me on Facebook, you’ve already seen this because I'm so happy about it. I can now fit into my favorite favorite favorite running shorts that I haven’t been able to squeeze a leg into for THREE YEARS. Three years, people!! The purple shorts are BACK!! 


I love purple. Forever and ever. Amen. 

No comments: