18 July 2013

30 Day Paleo Challenge - Day 26

Do you ever dream about work?

I had the worst night last night. No sleep whatsoever.

It all started when I didn’t get home from work until almost 7pm last night because I had to go start a crisis care case on one of my sweet patients.

With Hospice, crisis care is started when a patient’s symptoms become unmanageable despite all interventions we’ve tried – it can be uncontrolled pain, agitation and restlessness, shortness of breath, uncontrolled nausea and vomiting, etc. Crisis care brings specially-trained nurses into the home 24/7 to get the symptoms under control and to provide education to the families until they feel comfortable managing the care from that point forward.

As Case Manager, my responsibilities include getting the order from the doctor to begin CC, get all the meds lined up both through our hospice pharmacy and the patient’s local pharmacy (Walgreens, you test my patience!!), give report to the CC RN, among many other things. It can take awhile to get it set up. I’ll also be bumping up my visits to once a day for supervisory visits until the patient is no longer on crisis care.

I almost caved and got a Diet Coke last night. Matt talked me off the ledge on that one. Personal crisis averted.

I honestly don’t mind working late – I love love love my job, and with me being on vacation all next week, I want to make sure my patients are as settled as possible. I know nurses will be making visits to check on them while I’m gone, but I don’t want to leave extra work – like ordering meds or gathering supplies – for my coworkers.

Yes. My OCD is fully raging right now.

So anyway, I kept thinking of my patient all night. I woke up at 1am wondering how things were going with the crisis care nurses.  I fell back asleep praying for peace and comfort for both my patient and the family members.

Then Knuke woke me up at 2am needing to go outside. You never, ever ignore a 120lb dog that needs to poop in the middle of the night. Ever. Lesson learned the hard way on that one.

I fell back asleep around 2:30, after checking work emails. And Facebook. And Twitter.

Woke up again at 3:30 after a dream about work and my patients woke me up in a cold sweat.

Fell back asleep.

4:00am – Crossfit alarm goes off.

Today is going to be awesome.


WOD:
3 rounds for max reps:
1 minute row for calories
rest 1 minute
1 minute sit-ups
rest 1 minute
1 minute hand-release push-ups
rest 1 minute

- basically this is 1 min on/1 min off for three rounds. Go ALL OUT for your minute on.

Midline: 3 sets of -
:30 superman holds
1 min plank

RESULTS:

We added all three rounds of reps together, and my total was 236. Sit-ups saved my life (112 total!). Push-ups can kiss my butt.


This is not a tan. This is dirty dirt from rolling around on the floor doing push-ups and planks and supermans. Took about thirteen hours with a loofa to get that all off this morning. 

Today:

Breakfast: Rooibos tea (red African tea, my favorite!) with a dribble of honey, Eggs scrambled with diced bacon, baby tomatoes


Best. Tea. Ever. 

Lunch:  Pork with pineapple, celery sticks, red pepper slices

Dinner: Hopefully the grilled chicken that never happened last night because of my late arrival home. I hate eating late!!

Today I love: Cake Batter Chapstick. Cake batter = not paleo. Chapstick version = perfectly fine!

No comments: